The Jim Jarmusch Resource Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone seen it ?

2 posters

Go down

Has anyone seen it ? Empty Has anyone seen it ?

Post  michael603 Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I was wondering has anyone seen Jim's first film and what do you think about it . I have seen it and i think that it is o.k. , but i think that in that movie you see only the glimpses of the Jim we see today .The music ( or constant banging a pipe ) was to me pretty much annoying . But the story was o.k. for his first attempt . Anyway that's my opinion what' yours ?
michael603
michael603

Back to top Go down

Has anyone seen it ? Empty Re: Has anyone seen it ?

Post  MikeT-23 Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Michael

Yeah, I watched it - once! I have it on a three disc DVD set, and as a completist felt obliged to see it.
I'm sure I will watch it again one day, but only in terms of attempting to do as you did in recognising signature traits of Mr Jarmusch's later work.
One or two I did acknowledge were the 'outsider' figure, and this figure's 'journey', contained in the settings of a trashy America. The music thing didn't strike me as much as some of his later films.
Listen, it worked well enough to give the man a path to follow, and had it not, we wouldn't have the other films we hold in such high esteem today.

best wishes

Michael (in Scotland)

MikeT-23

Back to top Go down

Post  michael603 Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Listen, it worked well enough to give the man a path to follow, and had it not, we wouldn't have the other films we hold in such high esteem today.

You have a point. I read somewhere that this movie was his graduation work in college.Also i so some similarities with the movie "Le samurai " . There is a part where the main character steals the car and bring's the car in the garage . The same scene was implemented in the 1967 movie "Le Samurai" , which Jim later used as a basic for the movie "Ghost Dog : The Way of the Samurai".
Also i liked the part in the cinema , and the talk between the black guy and the main character.I still think that he could have worked a little bit more on the music for the movie.I mean if you see his later works you will see that he paid much attentaion to the music in his later movies . I think even he understood the he could improve that part of his creativity. He used artists like : Tom Waits , Neil Young , RZA, Joe Strummer etc.

Best regards

Michael ( Serbia) Cool
michael603
michael603

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum